Our Visit to Samoa Primary School in Vailele.
Samoa Primary School is a private school in Apia with the total of 400+ students from Years 1-8.
Weaving ma’ilo (Samoan plates) wasn’t that hard for the students. They worked in small groups and follow simple instructions given by other students in the group. It didn’t take long to make new friends.
Well done to the Masina Va’aia students for showing perseverance and respect the whole time. Awesome behaviour.
The process of cooking taro with coconut cream.
- Peel the taros first. Half and dice them into pieces.
- Boil the water in a medium size pot. Once boiled, put diced taros in and cook until tender.
- Husk and scrape the coconut using a grater.
- Squeeze out the milk from the desiccated coconut using a tauaga.
- Once the taros’ cooked, tip out the water then pour in the coconut milk.
- Put it back on the heat for a few seconds.
- Your taros are now ready.
For lunch, we had chop suey, soup, taro with coconut cream, pawpaw and fruit drinks. Fa’afetai atu ia Junior mo le folafolaina o taumafa i lea aso.
Awesome performance by our students.