NATIONAL YOUNG LEADERS DAY

As I hopped on the bus, I pictured what was going to happen at our young leaders day. I pictured there were going to be hundreds of schools and hoping I would learn something there. I was excited.

When we arrived there, I jumped off my seat in a flash, tumbling off the bus. As soon as we walked in through the doors, I felt a cold breeze pass my face and smelled yummy food at the same time. Just before everyone sat down, we all grabbed our notebooks and our pens off the floor.

“GOOD MORNING EVERYONE,” the host yelled. In a flash, everyone started to reply back softly. First, he told us about a person who was a leader when he was younger and how it has helped him in the future.

We also learned another person who struggled in her life due to a serious car crash. She only has one arm. She told us what happened in the car crash and how she has made it this far with only one hand. Her past never stopped her, and she carried on her dream which was to dance and now she is an amazing dancer. WOW!!!As minutes past we played another game called heads and tales, it was challenging.

As hours passed, we hopped on the bus and zoomed back to school, on our way back I thought about what I have learned and how it would help me in the future. I also tried to remember the quotes they told us.
What l learned was never to give up,  just keep following your dream to the very end and be courageous.
Always remember you don’t need a badge to be a leader.

Marlon Farani
Media Leader

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

National Young Leaders Day (NYLD)

As we walked in the door to the Vodafone Events Centre, we felt like different people; like we were the Greatest Leaders. We were very excitied.

On the 26th of May 2016, the school leaders and one of the William Pike students got the opportunity to go to the National Young Leaders Day to hear leaders speak to us about what are the qualities of a great leader.

Billy Graham:
Our first speaker,  Billy Graham, talked to us about his personal life. As a kid, he never had any friends and never got the chance to show the world what he could do.  A man saw potential in him and recommended him to go the Nae Nae Boxing Academy.
Billy Graham taught us that if any challenge comes your way don’t say I won’t do itjust say that you will give it a try.
He also taught us that people around us only focus on what we can do and not what we can’t do.

Valentine Tauamiti:
Valentine Tauamiti shared to us a story. On the first day of College, he told his Mum that he was old enough to walk with his mates. His Mum said no but then one of his Mates came and said “Valentine, let’s go now”  Valentine’s Mum didn’t want to embarrass him so she told him he could walk to school but she will pick him up after.
So Valentine went to School and had the greatest day of his life.  After school, he was waiting for his mum then his Mates came and said to him “Valentine, let’s go”
He was making a decision, should he walk home or wait for his mum. So he decided to walk home and then half way he started to think, I should have waited for my mum.  Now I’m going to get a big hiding. Then he looked back and saw his family vehicle driving at about 5 kilometres an hour pointing at him.  Valentine said it was scary.
So he told us always to listen to our Mothers and make good decisions.
His Mum said that if he can’t be a leader at home, then he can’t be a leader at school. You don’t need a badge to be a leader.

Marina Alefosio:
Marina read some of her poems. She told us to be ourselves and don’t change. We should surround ourselves with who we want to be.

Overall NYLD was a great experience for all the School Leaders and the teachers. We enjoyed listening to the speakers who shared about their life.
Manu Neiufi     Siesi Katoa
Media Leaders

———————————————————————————————————————————————————-

IMG_2997 IMG_3002 IMG_3015 IMG_3021 IMG_3024 IMG_3026 IMG_3030 IMG_3031 IMG_3032 IMG_3036 IMG_3041 IMG_3043 IMG_3045 IMG_3046 IMG_3047